Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Instructions

I was working and reading posts on Facebook the other night, well mostly reading on Facebook as opposed to working, but I digress. As I was logged on to Facebook, an old friend popped up to chat with me. That’s the neat thing about social networking – all the friendships and memories that were once lost are now found again. I’ve been able to connect with people from my childhood through my college years.

Some people I do not recognize, but others look like they did back in high school! I am shocked at the political undertones many people write in their status updates and thrilled to see pictures of newborn babies! Anyway, my childhood friend asked me to write a story for this blog – he gave me the rules and I told him I would have it to him after the semester ended.

I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting on what I would write and when I was in my office the other day I spotted a book that I’ve carried with me since graduate school – Life’s Little Instruction Book, 551 suggestions, observations and reminders on how to live a happy and rewarding life. So, I picked it up and took it home with me. I read through it once again and had a moment of “if I only knew then, what I know now” – what great little lessons! Here are a few which really struck home with me and made me think about my friends, how quickly time passes, and the importance of life, not which side of the political fence you are on because inevitably, all sides are wrong:

Attend class reunions.
Don’t take good health for granted.
Remember that all news is bias.
Call your mother.
Don’t use time or words carelessly. Neither can be retrieved.
Select a doctor your own age, so you can grow old together.
Have some knowledge of three religions other than your own.
Tape record your parents’ laughter.
Be open to new ideas.
Count your blessings.

Why did I select those 10? I am finding that I as grow older, I realize the importance of keeping in touch with friends, that I am facing health related issues that I thought only happened to “old people”, that as I grow older, my parents do too and they will not be here forever, and that politics is politics and it’s not worth ruining family or friendships over, so keep your thoughts and opinions to yourself, don’t post them for the world to read.

One other little piece of advice to my friend that asked me to write this posting for the blog – walk with your friends to school!

if I only knew then, what I know now

No comments: