Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Bassist

I'm scared. How do you do what you haven't been taught, and still appear as though you know what you're doing? I've got no problem with the confidence, and the "fake it 'til you make it" concept is down...but what next?

I manage and play bass in a rock band. It's my first, and we're in Austin, TX. We've been together for a little over four years and have little product to show for it. Well, when compared to other bands, we have very little at all. From our own devices and meanderings, we have scraped together enough to record a thirteen track full length and release it on our own terms. It's professionally done, inside and out, and our online image is top tier with a few rough spots.

Our musical abilities? Amazing. No, really - it's not "your friend's band" amazing, but "I can't believe that I didn't know about these guys" amazing. We had a revolving roster for a second, but we've since stabilized. We've lived together, fought with each other and against each other, played together, etc; we're brothers... and I'm the one responsible for getting us places.

I really can't complain too much. After all, I did get myself into this situation by taking the reigns and pulling us forward. There wouldn't have been any forward momentum if I didn't step up and start overseeing everything myself. Delegation is a learned skill that I've
acquiring through trial and error. It's not just who you give the task to, but that you follow up and make sure that they're not killing time getting high, spending time with the girlfriend, or that they didn't forget in general. Having musicians as your surrogate workforce isn't the toughest thing in the world, but it's not the easiest either.

Presently, I'm connecting with you on the precipice of everything we've accomplished in the past four..five years. The CD will be released tomorrow, and there will be a crazy party to celebrate. We will all be broke again, but this time, we'll have a variety of
merch under our belt and a new group of people who enjoy listening...at least I hope so.

I also think that I'll be writing about my circumstance a bit more.

fake it 'til you make it

No comments: